Re: Web Site Changes, etc.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Matthia - Matthia Message Center ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kurt Matthia on November 06, 1999 at 21:58:58:

In Reply to: Good to hear from you posted by Bob Mathia on November 06, 1999 at 21:32:00:

27 Oct 1999

Dear Bob,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad you enjoyed the mapping feature. I go and look for the towns on your mother's side and can add links for the from the site. Since they are close by, we may find Mathia's there anyway.

I am using PAF 4.0 and it can import a 5.5 file, which will preserve the greatest amount of information. Thus to your first two questions, I would answer PAF and 5.5. If the third choice on character set is IBMPC (you had IMBPM) then that is what I am using. If not, use ANSI.

From your second e-mail, you mentioned doing an export from Family Tree Maker, importing to to PAF, and then re-exporting to me. If that process has worked for you, I can just work with the Family Tree Maker export myself. This will save some steps.

With regard to sending me the file, I suggest you send it to me using kurta@aol.com
The reason for this is that I have had some bad luck along the way with attachments being corrupted when going into or coming out of AOL. It will be more likely to come through if we don't cross platforms with the attachment.

I'd like to liven the web site up with some photos, so if you have a scanner, send along a photo of yourself. If you have photos from the 'old country' we can post some of those too.

I retired in 1996 at 55 years old after completing a career (27 years + 3 military) as a state employee with the State of Utah. My wife Sheela and I still own a house in Utah and also one on the Central Oregon Coast. This year we've spent a lot of time in Oregon. You'll have to come visit some time.

Do you have a resume or other personal history that you would like to post at the site. I understand that there are some concerns about putting personal information on the web. However, I personally wouldn't be concerned about dusting off my resume and putting it there when I get a little time.

If we have a need to put more confidential stuff at the site, I am planning to create at least one "secure" directory which will require a password to access. We can post things there that we don't want people without a password to get a look at.

That's it for now. I've got to go help a friend put in some shelves.

Kurt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Matthia - Matthia Message Center ] [ FAQ ]