My first scan of the Tuchola films

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Matthia - Matthia Message Center ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob Mathia on November 06, 1999 at 22:14:10:

In Reply to: Good to hear from you posted by Bob Mathia on November 06, 1999 at 21:32:00:

4 Nov 1999

Hi Karen & Kurt,

I spent a couple of hours this a.m. going thru film #0462777 (Baptisms) and unfortunately didn't find any records for baptisms of any other children of JOSEPH MATHIA & MARIANNA SLOMIANKA (Slomian)! Needless to say, I was disappointed. However, I did find the ones you told me about, and they definitely do look like Marianna's last name is SLOMIANKA (or Slomionka) as opposed to STOMIANKA!

On the record for their daughter VALERIA's birth (in 1879), under JOSEPH's name is written "arbeiter", which (according to the patron helper at the FHC) means "worker" or "day laborer", etc.... This may mean that this family "moved around" in order that the father might have work ---- so maybe I've got to look in the other towns around the area that might have church records available for me to look at.

If you have any suggestions as to where I could look next ---- I'm open for guidance! You guys have more experience with the records in this area of Poland then I do --- so I'll listen to whatever you might offer.

I really believe we're "in" the right area ---- because while looking through the film, I ran across baptismal records for "other familiar" surnames of people that I recognize having lived in Berlin, Wisconsin --- where my grandpa Joe Mathia lived!! This is a really amazing coincidence, because I found the baptismal records of 4 children of ISIDOR RIESOP and MARIANNA KLUNDER --- who turn out to be the maternal gr-grandparents of my cousin JEANNIE MATHIA that I told you about! I'm sure she'll be excited as I am when she finds this out! (Jeannie was born & raised in Berlin, at the very home where grandpa Joe settled). The children of ISIDOR & MARIANNA were: CATHARINA (05/02/1875), JOANNES (05/15/1877), URSULA (07/01/1878) and VALERIA (08/04/1879).

I ran across a baptismal record of a FRANCISCA MATHIA, born 01/21/1875 in Bialowierz to ALBERT MATHIA & ANNA SIGMAN (or LIGMAN). Any idea where this guy fits?

That's it for now. Please, let me know what you think I might do next? I'm not finished with the two films that came in, but I just want to be "ready" with another plan when I do finish.
Bye for now.

Bob

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Matthia - Matthia Message Center ] [ FAQ ]